Trains and buses conveniently operate on frequent regular schedules.
Trains allow access towards Sapporo or towards Yoichi.
Also, the majority of city buses operate based on this station.
Minami Otaru Station
Minami Otaru Station is 10 minutes on foot to the "Marchen Crossroads", a sightseeing district on the south side of Sakai-machi Street with many attractions such as music box shops, glass shops, and onfectionaries.
The area around this station was once a thriving district, and many historical buildings still remain from its heyday.
Otaru Chikko Station
This is Otaru's second largest transportation hub, directly connected to "Wing Bay Otaru", a major commercial complex.
This station is also very convenient as a stop for express trains bound for Sapporo and New Chitose Airport.
Shin Nihonkai Ferry Terminal
This is a base point for regularly-operated ships on Otaru-Niigata and Otaru-Maizuru routes.
Please use buses or taxis to travel to downtown Otaru.
Explanation of icon
- Tourist Information Center
- Tickets / Fare adjustment office
- Lounge / Waiting room
- Bank, money exchange
- Hotel / Accommodation
- Bus / Bus stop
- Taxi / Taxi Stand
- Railway / Railway station
- ▶Buy Tickets
- Buy Tickets
- Conﬁrm the fare displayed for your destination station name.
→ Insert money into the ticket machine and press the button.
→ Take your ticket and any change.
- *If pressing your required button does not dispense a ticket, you have not inserted enough money. Please insert enough money for the fare.
- *If you have reserved tickets, or if you are uncertain of your destination, fare, or require other information, please inquire at a nearby JR Ticket Oﬃce (Midori-no-Madoguchi).
- ▶Pass the Turnstile
- Insert your ticket.
→ Take the ticket ejected at the other side of the machine.
- ▶Confirm your Platform Number
- *Please be aware that some trains with few cars will not span the entire platform.
- *There are "Local", "Regional Rapid", and "Rapid" types of trains.
"Local" trains stop at all stations, but "Regional Rapid" and "Rapid" trains do not stop at some stations.
Please conﬁrm in advance.
- ▶Board the Bus
- The central door is for boarding, and the front door is for exiting.
- ▶Exit the Bus
- The vehicle's bus stop information monitor will indicate the next bus stop, allowing you to conﬁrm where to exit the bus.
- *Please push one of the stop buttons found throughout the bus to signal the driver that you would like to exit at the next stop.
- ▶Pay the Fare
- As you exit, please deposit your fare into the fare box next to the driver.
- *The driver cannot make change, so please use the change machine in front of the fare box to prepare exact change in advance.
Adult ¥220, Child ¥110.
- *Infants less than one year old are free.
- *Fares and bus boarding entrances diﬀer for the Asarigawa Onsen line.
Inquiry about public transport is this
- Canal Plaza
- +81 0134-33-1661
- Service Available
*Canal Plaza offers information on topics such as sightseeing and transportation, and there are permanently-stationed staff who can speak English, Chinese, and Korean.
- Otaru Station
- +81 0134-29-1333
- Asakusa Bridge
- +81 0134-23-7740
- ・Otaru Tourist Association
- +81 0134-33-2510
- ・JR Hokkaido Otaru Station
- +81 0134-22-0771
- ・JR Hokkaido Bus
- +81 0134-22-5570
- ・Chuo Bus Terminal Outside Otaru Station
- +81 0134-25-3333
- ・Otaru Taxi Association
- +81 0134-21-3002
- ・Shin Nihonkai Ferry
- +81 0134-22-6191
- ・Otaru Police Office
- +81 0134-27-0110
- Bus movement
- Hot Springs Offering Day Bathing
- ●Taxi / Approximate Taxi Fare from Otaru Station to Hotels at Asarigawa Hot Springs : ¥3,000
TO Aasarigawa hot springs
This riverside hot spring village offers accommodation ranging from charming guest houses to major resort hotels, and is surrounded by hills and rivers, offering the perfect environment to enjoy the bountiful nature of the four seasons.
Visitors can enjoy golf or tennis in summer, crimson leaves in autumn, and skiing in winter.
- Otaru Station
- GATE:2 / BUS:13
- Nantaru Market
- Otaru Chikko Station
- Wing Bay Otaru
Grand Park Otaru
Shin Nantaru Market
- Kourakuen Hotel
- Shinko 5-chome
- Natural hot spring Yunohana
- ¥220 for this area
- Musashitei Hotel
¥330 for this area
- Kuramure Hotel
Asari Classe Hotel
Winkel Vi llaget
- Kanponoyado Otaru
- Kanponoyado Hotel
It is about a 15 minute drive from downtown to Mt. Tengu, a major landmark of Otaru.
A 30-person ropeway reaches the peak in four minutes.
On a clear day, this scenic viewpoint offers a panorama including the distant Shokanbetsu mountain range and Shakotan Peninsula.
9:00 to 21:00 (operates on 12 minute intervals each hour)
*May be halted in case of poor weather.
Travel times vary by season.
- Otaru Station
- GATE:3 / BUS:9
- Tenguyama Ropeway
- ●Taxi Approximate Taxi Fare from Otaru Station to Tenguyama Ropeway Platform:¥1,100
●Change to Ropeway
- The top of Mt.Tengu
This unique atmosphere of this area features the liveliness and beauty of the coasts of Niseko-Shakotan-Otaru Kaigan Quasi-National Park, complemented with rustic herring fishery architecture which tells the tale of the area's history as a prosperous fishing community.
"Otaru Aquarium" is one of Japan's largest and best-known aquariums, and the nearby attractions including a marina make this a starting point for marine recreation.
- Otaru Station
- GATE:3 / BUS:10 or 11
- Tanaka Sake Brewery (Japanese Sake Store)
- Former Otaru Branch of Nihon Yusen Co.
- Otaru Museum
- Shukutsu 3-chome
- Otaru Kihinkan (Guest House)
- Otaru Aquariuｍ
- Otaru Aquariuｍ
Nishin Goten (Herring Mansion)
Shukutsu panorama Observatory
Hotel Neuschloss Otaru
●Taxi Approximate Taxi Fare from Otaru Station to Otaru Aquarium:¥1,800円
▲20min by Cruise
- Cruise Ship Dock
[ One way ]
[ Return ]
Cruise ship dock is located 15 minutes walk from JR Otaru Station.
Operation Period April to October (Operates Daily).
- What are Button-Operated Pedestrian Crossing Signals?
- In Japan, in addition to normal automated crossing signals, some crossing signals are controlled by buttons.
Please be aware that these crossing signals will not turn green until a pedestrian pushes the button.
It is very dangerous to cross the street on a red signal, so please be certain to press the button and wait for a green signal.
- Form an Orderly Line When Waiting for Buses or Trains
- When queues form to wait for boarding public transportation, please be certain to join the back of the line.
When the train or bus arrives, please swiftly move to one side so that passengers may easily exit the vehicle.
After checking that all exiting passengers are clear of the door, please board the vehicle in order from the front of the queue.
- Remain Quiet in Public Places (and Onboard Vehicles)
- Please refrain from shouting or speaking in a loud voice in public places, as this is very inconsiderate of others nearby.
Japanese people are used to a quiet environment on public transportation, so it is necessary to be considerate of others when speaking.
Also, as a general rule, speaking on mobile phones while riding public transit is prohibited.
- Only Smoke in Designated Areas Where Ashtrays are Provided
- Please smoke only where ashtrays are placed.
Please also avoid inconsiderate acts such as smoking while walking, or discarding cigarettes on the street (littering).
Public manners can only be improved through the moral effort of each and every person.
- Please Flush Toilet Paper
- Toilet paper in Japan is designed to dissolve in water, and will not clog toilets or plumbing.
After using the toilet, please do not dispose of toilet paper in the wastebasket.
Instead, toilet paper down the toilet.
*Flushing other items may clog plumbing, so please never flush any items except toilet paper.